Sago and Vermicelli Kheer / Semiya javvarisi payasam
A mouth watering south indian delicasy.My kids use to call this ” balls n noodles ” payasam.
Sago / Tapioca pearls -1/4 cup
vermicelli ( fried ) – 1/4 cup
sugar – 3/4 cup ( if condensed milk is not used , u can add 1 whole cup of Sugar )
Full Cream Milk – 3 !/2 cup
Condensed Milk – 1/4 cup
Cardamom – 1 tsp ( powdered )
Ghee – 5 Tbsp
Raisins – 2 Tbsp
Cashewnuts – 2 Tbsp ( broken )
Saffron – 1/2 tsp ( optional )
- Grind the cardamom with the sugar to a fine powder, sieve and keep aside.
- Heat 2 tablespoons ghee and fry the cashew nuts and raisins till light brown.
- Heat the remaining ghee in a vessel and slightly roast the sago. Add ½ cup water stirring vigorously.cook for 10 mins.
- Add Vermicelli ,pour the milk and cook till it becomes transparent and soft. Keep stirring to avoid lumps.
- Then add sugar and mix well till it dissolves.
- Add Condensed milk and continue simmering till reaches the desired consistency.
- Add saffron.Cook for 2 more min
- Garnish with fried cashew nuts and Raisins.
- Serve it hot or chilled.