Urad Dhal – 1 cup
Raw Rice – 2 tbsp
Green chilli – 1 no
Cumin powder- 1 tsp
Asfoetida -1/4 tsp (optional)
Peppercorns (crushed ) -10 (optional)
Finely chopped Onions – 3 tbsp
Curry Leaves – few
Salt – to taste
Oil – for deep frying.
- Soak Urad Dhal and rice together for 2 hrs.
- Drain and grind them into a fine paste along with the Green chilli.
- Don’t add too much of water.The batter should be thick n fluffy.
- Add salt, asafoetida, curry leaves, cumin powde,onions and crushed peppercorns to the batter and mix well.
- Heat sufficient oil in a kadai / pan. Wet your palms and take a little batter into your palms. Shape into balls and make a hole with the thumb in the center like a doughnut. Deep fry in medium hot oil until golden brown and crisp. Drain on absorbent paper. Serve hot with sambhar , coconut chutney or Tomato Ketchup