Onion Pulikari / Vengaaya Pulikari
Here is a simple traditional recipe from my Mom.
Onion – 3 nos ( medium sized ) – Vertically sliced
Red chilli – 2
Mustard seeds – 1/2 tsp
Bengal Gram – 1 tsp
Asafoetida – 1/4 tsp
Garlic crushed – 5 flakes ( optional )
Curry leaves -1 sprig
Tamarind Paste -3 tbsp or Thick tamarind extract – 1/2 cup
Jaggery – 3 tbsp
Salt – as needed
Oil – 2 to 3 Tbsp
- Heat Oil in a pan and add Mustard seeds.Let it crackle.
- Add Bengal Gram , Curry leaves , Red chilli , Asafoetida ,Garlic and Onions
- Fry until the Onions turn golden brown.
- Add Tamarind Paste , Chilli powder , Jaggery , Salt and Water.
- Cook for 10 mins in Medium flame.
- Serve Hot
Tastes best with Hot Steamed Rice , idlies , dosas , pooris , rotis and chappathis.