Green Chilli Sambar / Pachai milagai sambar
Pachai milagai sambar is very popular in Tamilnadu especially in thanjavur..There are numerous versions of sambar but this one is noteworthy due to the fact that its my beloved Mom’s recipe. Give it a try and let me know❤️
Sambar is Protein rich and loaded with nutritional goodness.
1/2 cup tur dal
Drumsticks-2 nos (cut into 2 to 3 inch pieces)
Brinjal/eggplants-4 nos (cut into 2 or 4 pieces)
10-12 small sambar onions (or shallots)
2 medium tomatoes quartered
pinch of turmeric
1 large lemon sized tamarind (extract the juice in 1 cup water)
1 tbsp jaggery or sugar (optional)
salt to taste
coriander leaves for garnish
For tempering/poppu/tadka :
1/2 tbsp ghee
3/4 tsp mustard seeds
3/4 tsp Fenugreek
1/2 tsp asafoetida/hing/inguva or 3-4 crushed garlic flakes
2 dry red chilli (tear and de-seed)
10-12 fresh curry leaves
To Grind :
1/2 cup of grated Coconut
2 tsp cumin
2 tsp aniseed
4-5 nos green chillies
3 small sambar onions (or shallots)
- Grind the ingredients under “to grind” into a fine paste.
- Pressure cook dal with 2 cups of water and a pinch of hing.
- Once pressure cooked, mash, add 2 cups of water, shallots, tomatoes, drumsticks, brinjals and turmeric powder. Bring to a boil, reduce flame and cook for 8-9 mins on low to medium flame.
- Once vegetables are half cooked, add the tamarind extract, salt and jaggery and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and let it simmer for 12-14 mins, till the rawness of the tamarind disappears.Add the ground paste and combine well. Let it cook for another 6-7 mins.
- Heat ghee in a separate pan, add the mustard seeds and let them splutter.
- Then, Add Fenugreek,hing and red chillis and roast for a few seconds. Don’t burn them. Lastly add curry leaves and immediately add to sambar.
- Turn off heat and place lid. Keep covered for at least an hour and garnish with fresh coriander leaves.
Serve with idli,dosa or hot steamed rice and appalam (papad).
Vegetables like Bottle gourds,carrots,raw mangoes,radish and ladies fingers can also be used to make sambar