Vegetable Bonda / Vegetable Balls
Bondas are perfect tea time snack. They are one of the unique dishes from South India.They are made of urad dhal and raw rice. To make it more healthier i have added some carrots and peas. This recipe is from my mom who is an expert in making yummy bondas which are crispy outside and soft inside.
Urad dhal – 1 cup
Raw rice – 2 Tbsp
Coconut Flakes ( fresh ) – 3 Tbsp
Green Peas ( cooked ) – 1/4 cup
Carrots ( grated ) – 3 Tbsp
Onion ( chopped ) – 1/4 to 1/2 cup
Coriander leaves / parsley ( chopped ) – 1 Tbsp
Green chillies ( chopped ) – 2
Salt – to taste
- Wash the Urad dhal and raw rice together and soak them for 1 hour .
- Grind them to a thick and fluffy batter like vada batter. Use very little water while grinding.
- Add all the remaining ingredients to the groung batter and mix well.
- Heat oil in a pan. Keep a small bowl of water to wet your hand. Wet your hand well with water and make small sized balls.
- Gently drop the ball into the oil using your thumb.
- Fry both sides under medium heat till they turn crispy and golden brown.
- Drain them on a paper towel.
- Serve hot with tomato ketchup or Coconut Chutney with a cup of tea.