Yam Fry / karunaikizhangu varuval
Cooking & Prep Time : 45 mins
Yam – 250 gms (cut into thin big slices)
Tamarind Paste- 1 Tsp
Turmeric powder – 1/4 tsp
Chilli powder – 1 1/2 tsp
Coriander powder – 1 tsp
Salt – to taste
To Grind :
Grated Coconut – 2 Tbsp
Fennel Seeds – 1 tsp
Pepper Corns – 1/4 tsp
Small Onion – 4 to 5
Ginger Garlic Paste – 1 Tsp
- Cut yam into large pieces and wash well to get rid of the mud smell. Then steam it until soft yet crunchy enough to bite(You can even pressure cook it).
- Grind the ingredients listed under ‘to grind’ to a semi coarse paste without adding water(anyway onions will let out water by itself).
- In a mixing bowl add Tamarind paste,turmeric, chilli powder, coriander powders,Ginger Garlic Paste,salt ,Ground Paste along with the Yam Pieces.
- Marinate for 15 – 20 mins
- Heat a shallow pan and add the yam pieces, drizzle oil and toast it till golden brown. You can deep fry the yam pieces too. (Preferable to use non stick pan)
- Serve with freshly sliced lemon wedges and onion rings. Tastes best with hot steamed rice and curd rice