Sorbet is a middle Eastern Dessert made with fresh fruit juices or Fruit puree. Whereas ice cream is based on dairy products with air copiously whipped in, sorbet has neither, which makes for a dense and extremely flavourful product. It is simply mixed and frozen. All you really need is the fruits and a few other things which many people already have at home. Another plus is that you can use fresh or frozen fruit or even a bit of both!! Sorbet is not only used as a dessert, it is also served before the main course to cleanse the palate. It is a Low fat or Non fat alternative to ice cream.
Here is how you can make sorbet easily at your home 🙂
Fresh fruits ( cut into small chunks ) – 3 cups ( i used magoes, bananas, apples
and straw berries )
Juice of 1 lemon
Salt – a pinch
For the Sugar syrup ( Simple syrup )
Sugar – 1/2 cup
Water – 1/2 cup
- In a small sauce pan add the sugar and water. Bring it to a boil for a minute, until the sugar dissolves. Remove from the stove. This is your simple syrup . Let it cool for half an hour.
- Puree the fruits in a food processor or mixer .
- Push the puree in a bowl through a sieve.
- Combine the puree , syrup , lemon juice and salt together . Mix thoroughly .
- Pour the mixture into a pan , cover it with plastic wrap and freeze for 6 hrs.
- This is the most important step for making sorbet without the ice cream maker..For Every 2 hours remove the pan from the freezer , break the frozen puree into pieces , blend again in a food processor and put it back into the freezer. This helps to maintain the texture.
- Let it soften for a few mins before serving.
If you are using an Ice cream maker , chill the mixture thoroughly, then freeze it in your ice cream maker according to the manufacturer’s instructions. If the mixture has become too thick to pour into your machine, whisk it vigorously to thin it out.