Chinna Vengaaya Thakkali Thokku / shallots and tomato chutney
Tomatoes – 4 nos
Sambar Onions / Shallots – 200 gms (finely chopped)
Mustard – 1/2 tsp
Split urad dal – 1 tsp
Asafoetida – 2 pinch
Curry leaves – 6 to 8
Turmeric powder – 1/4 tsp
Red chilly powder -1 to 1 1/2 tsp
Coriander powder – 1 tsp
Cumin powder – 1/4 tsp
Jaggery powdered – 2 tsp
Salt – as needed
Oil – 3 to 4 Tbsp
- Wash the ripe and juicy tomatoes and slice them. Add them to blender and make a puree out of it. Transfer to a bowl and keep it ready.
- Heat oil in a pan. Add mustard seeds.when it splutters, add split urad dal, asafoetida and curry leaves.
- Add onions and sauté tip it becomes translucent.Then add tomato puree, turmeric powder, red chilly powder, coriander powder, cumin powder and salt.Add the powdered jaggery and mix well.
- Within few minutes, you can see the mixture attains thick consistency and the oil starts oozing out.
- At this stage, turn off the flame.
It makes an irresistible combo with idly, dosa, chappathi , rotis upma etc