Chettinad Vellai Paniyaram / vellai appam
Raw Rice – 1 cup
Par boiled Rice – 1/4 cup
Urad dhal – 1/4 cup
sugar – 1 tsp
salt – as needed
Milk – 1/4 cup
- Clean the rice and dal mixture in water. Soak it for about 2 to 3 hours.
- Then grind it in a mixer or grinder till you get a very very smooth paste. Add milk little by little whenever needed. It should not become very watery. The consistency should be like dosa batter.
- Transfer the grinded flour to a vessel. Add salt and sugar and mix throughly.
- Add milk if needed.
- Heat oil in a shallow pan / kadai. When the oil is hot enough pour the flour into the oil with the help of a ladle.
- After a few seconds it should rise up automatically. Turn it to the other side and let it cook for about a minute.
- Remove it onto a tissue paper. Prepare this one by one.
- Serve hot with Chettinad Kaara Chutney.
Use only rice which we use for cooking and not the Idli rice.
Do not add too much oil to the kadai.
Do not over heat the oil.
And always keep the flame on low through out the cooking process. Once in a while if the temperature of the oil goes down very much then you can rise it. Otherwise keep it on low always.
After turning do not cook for long.
If the Paniyaram becomes rubbery after it becomes cold then the udad dal Quantity is less.
Adding the parboiled rice helps the paniyaram to remain soft even after becoming cold.