Chettinad Kaara Chutney
A Spicy n Tangy Chettinad chutney Recipe……
Small Onions or shallots – 3/4 cup
Dry Red chilli – 8 to 10
Tomato – 2
Garlic – 4 to 5
Tamarind Paste – 1/2 teaspoon
Oil – 2 tbsp
Mustard seeds – 1 teaspoon
Curry leaves – 4 to 5
Asafoetida / Hing – a fat pinch (optional)
- Heat a teaspoon of oil in kadai,add red chilli,small onion,garlic and fry till onion turns translucent.
- Then add tomato and wait till it turns mushy.Switch off the stove and allow it to cool.
- Once the contents cool down transfer it to mixer , add salt and tamarind paste and grind it to a coarse paste.
- Heat some oil in the kadai,add mustard seeds and wait for it to crackle add curry leaves and asafoetida / hing.
- Then pour in the coarse paste and mix it nicely and give it a boil.Remove from heat.
- Serve with Vellai paniyaram (coming soon).
Red chilly can be adjusted according to ur spice level. You can use big onion also but small onion gives flavour and taste.
Tastes best with Vellai paniyaram, idli n dosas