I just love the distinctive flavour of rosewater. Rosewater is heavily used in persian and mesopotamian cuisine especially in sweets. It is also used in indian sweets such as Gulab Jamun ( named from the persian word for Rose water ).
Here is my recipe for perfect, delicious Rosewater cupcakes.. These looked super pretty with the strawberry buttercream frosting.
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. salt
3/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup of unsalted butter, at room temperature
1 whole egg plus 1 egg white, at room temperature
1 Tbsp Rose water
1/2 cup Whole milk / Almond milk
Strawberry buttercream for frosting cupcakes
Coloured sugars for garnish
- In a bowl whisk together all the dry ingredients except sugar.
- In another bowl cream the butter and sugar together until creamy.
- Add in the eggs, beat well. Add the milk and rose water and mix well.
- Add the flour mixture in three additions. Mix well until no lumps remain. Do not over mix (or else the cakes will be tough)
- Divide batter among 12 cupcake liners (or 24 mini) and bake for 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Bake for 8-9 minutes if making mini cupcakes. Allow to cool.
- Decorate them with the StrawberryButtercream frosting and coloured sugars.