I wanted to do something with the fresh strawberries which i picked up yesterday, and so came up with this recipe. The outcome was excellent. yummmm!! I like my muffins to be soft, moist and nicely browned.
I used heart shaped muffin tins for baking my strawberry muffins
All purpose flour – 1 cup
Whole wheat flour – 1/2 cup
Unsalted Butter – 1/2 cup ( softened, room temperature )
castor sugar / granulated sugar – 1 cup
Eggs – 2 or 1/2 a cup of egg replacer
Zest of one orange
Buttermilk – 1/4 cup
Fresh Strawberry puree – 3/4 cup
Strawberry ( cut into small pieces ) – 3/4 cup
Baking powder 1 1/2 tsp
salt – 1/4 tsp
- Preheat the oven to 350 º F or 180 º C . Line your 12 piece muffin tin with paper liners if you want.
- In a small bowl, toss together the remaining 3/4 cup of chopped strawberries with about ¼ cup of the flour mixture, set aside.
- In a bowl mix together the flour, baking powder and salt and keep that aside as well.
- In your mixing bowl, cream together the butter and sugar until creamy, add in the eggs one at a time mix for a minute. Add the orange zest, buttermilk and the puree. Mix well.
- Fold the wet ingredients together with the dry until just combined. Fold the chopped strawberries.
- Spoon the batter equally into each paper liner. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Stand in the pan for 5 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool.