Pop overs are the American version of Yorkshire pudding. They are an incredibly light and airy sublime treat.. Pop over is a light hollow roll made from egg batter. Pop overs have a crispy exterior and are spongy inside.
Am going to give you a perfect recipe for a plain popover. By adding ingredients like parmesan cheese, spices or sugar, pop overs can be made to suit every occasion.
All purpose flour – 1 cup
Whole Milk – 1 cup
Eggs – 2 nos
Melted Butter – 1 Tbsp
Salt – 1/4 tsp
Parmesan cheese ( grated ) – 3 Tbsp
Vegetable oil or Non stick cooking spray to grease the muffin pan / Pop over pan
- Preheat the oven to 425º F. Grease the muffin pan / pop over pan generously and place it into the oven to get it nice and hot.
- Meanwhile, in a bowl whisk the flour, milk, eggs, salt and butter. Do not over work the batter.
- Pour the batter into the hot pan about 2/3 full. The pan should be incredibly hot while pouring in the batter.
- Sprinkle the cheese on top of the batter
- Pop it into the oven and bake for 35 mins.
- Do not open the oven while they are baking.
- Serve hot with gravies, ketchup or jam.
Secrets to great Popovers:
- Make sure the pan is super hot before pouring in the batter
- Fill no more than 2/3 full
- Do not peek in while they are baking