These festive cookies are a perfect recipe to make with the kids, because you don’t have to mess with rolling out and cutting the dough.
All purpose flour – 2 cups
Baking soda – 1 tsp
Salt – 1/4 teaspoon
Unsalted butter, room temperature – 3/4 cup
Granulated white sugar – 2/3 cup
Dark Brown sugar – 2/3 cup (140 grams)
Egg – 1
Yolk – 1
Vanilla Extract – 1 1/2 teaspoons
Gems or shorties or any other sugar coated candies – 1 cup
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees celsius and line a baking tray with baking paper.
- Sift the flour and baking powder together.
- In a mixer, beat together the eggs, sugar and vanilla essence until thick and pale.
- Gradually add the flour mixture to the creamed mixture and beat until incorporated. (if the batter is too soft cover and refrigerate for 30 min.)
- Using a Tablespoon, form batter into large balls. Place 9 balls of dough on each baking sheet. Gently flatten each ball of dough.
- Gently press the candies / smarties/ gems into the flattened candies.
- Bake the cookies for about 14 -17 minutes, rotating the baking sheets halfway through the baketime.
- They will be little soft in the center but they will firm up once they cool.
- Let the cookies cool for 5 mins on the baking sheet before transferring them to the wire rack.