Soft and Fluffy Wheat Idlis / Broken Wheat Idlis / Cracked Wheat Idlis
Globally Wheat is the leading source of vegetable protein. It has a higher protein content than soy beans. It contains a diversity of minerals, vitamins and fats (lipids). It also has a good amount of fiber. It has a less caloric value and low glycemic index than rice.
Todays recipe is for Fluffy Wheat idlis. Traditionally idlis are made of rice and urad dhal. To make it more healthier i decided to make idlis with wheat…and here is the result..soft and fluffy idlis.
Wheat Rava / Broken Wheat / Cracked Wheat – 2 1/4 cups ( Fine Variety )
Urad Dhal – 1 cup
Poha / Flattened rice / beaten rice – 1/2 cup.
Fenugreek seeds – 1 1/2 Tbsp OR Fenugreek powder – 1 Tbsp
Salt – 1 1/2 tsp or as needed.
- Wash and soak Urad dhal , Poha and Fenugreek together for 1 hour.
- In a separate bowl add the Cracked wheat and 1 1/2 cups of water.Let it soak for an hour.
- Grind the Urad dhal , Poha and Fenugreek mixture like you would do for regular idlis.The batter should be thick and fluffy.
- Now while the wet grinder is on , mix in the soaked cracked wheat with the urad dhal batter.Grind them for 5 more mins.
- Add salt and transfer the batter into a big container.The container should have space for the batter to rise while fermenting.
- Close with a lid and Place the container in a warm place for 10 to 12 hrs.
- Prepare Wheat idlis like the way you prepare regular idlis.
You can prepare dosas with the same batter. Just add little water to make the batter to be in pouring consistency.