Chettinad Kaara Paniyaram
A Chettinad recipe..An interesting Quick , healthy , light breakfast or snack box for school..
2 cups of Idli / Dosa Batter
2 tablepsoons grated coconut
1/4 cup grated carrots (or chopped spinach, finely minced cabbage) – optional
1/4 cup onions chopped finely (if you get the baby pearl onions they are more tastier)
1 teaspoon of green chilles chopped coarsely (optional)
1 tablespoon finely chopped curry leaves
1/4 teaspoon mustard seeds
1/4 teaspoon Split Urad Dhal
1/4 teaspoon Asafoetida (optional) Salt to taste
1 tablespoon of oil/
- In a small pan heat the oil, add the mustard seeds .Allow it to crackle. Add split Urad dhal , asafoetida , chopped onions and saute until onions are tender.
- Combine all the ingredients including the above mixture into the dosa batter.
- Grease the paniyaram pan with oil. Spoon the dosa mixture into the hollows of the pan. Heat the pan on medium heat and cover with a lid. After a 3-4 minutes you will notice the top part steamed. At this point, turn over each paniyaram and allow it to cook the other side. This time around don’t cover with a lid. Allow it to cook on medium low heat until the bottom is browned and crisp.
- Once done, remove and arrange on serving trays.
- Serve Hot with Red Chutney / chettinad kaara chutney.